Thursday, 12 December 2013

artisan roast - broughton st



artisan roast, 57 broughton st, is among edinburgh's best.

passion, aroma, flavour, milk texture, temperature and cup size - all fantastic.

my personal favourite is a flat white which is a double espresso in a normal, tea/coffee sized cup. not a mug or an oversize cup - just a nice, normal cup that holds the perfect quantity. my trusty partner prefers the cappuccino.

the milk has the lovely thick texture of expertly stretched milk, enhancing the complex nutty, choclatey, smokey, caramel coffeeness without a hint of bitterness. the flavour is as good as the smell. you can choose from a range of sprinkles for the top of your froth including chilli or cardamon chocolate, if that is to your liking.

artisan roast their own coffee beans and supply other coffee shops. the picture of their roaster below was taken before they moved it to glasgow.

apart from having some of the best coffee around, you can also take some beans or ground coffee home - ground to your exact specifications.

- coffee: their own roast
- coolness: coffee ground to your specs to take home
- website: www.artisanroast.co.uk
- dog-friendly


(the roasting den is no longer in the broughton street shop)
 


2 comments:

  1. Ok. So I went in on your recommendation. Now, it was an odd experience. I placed my order and went through the back. There was no space and I felt like an intimate conversation was out of the question as I was so close to everyone else. and then I went to the loo. a lot of climbing over stuff. Which would have been OK ... but said coffees failed to arrive.

    So off I went to remind the barista. He had forgotten about us. Coffee came. It was tepid in temperature, almost cool. I was disappointed. I had expected great things.

    Weeks passed. I had a bad day a work and decided only a smoothy from sejuiced would repair things. It was closed. I had already paid £97 for 15 mins of parking. What could I do? well, may be a coffee. But no sitting in this time. So I had a double shot latte to go.

    It was mind blowing. It was the best coffee I have ever tasted. It was orgasmic. I thought about having a second one.

    I have even been back several times.

    It really is the best coffee in edinburgh. My first jolly in so could have been my last if blue moon had not unjuiced early that day. I can whole heartedly recommend it. But why do they advertise a double shot latte as £2 when it always costs me £2.30? It's a mystery, but I always pay it without question as it is so damn good. Just don't sit in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gemma, apologies for not acknowledging your post, have been offline due to bad work-life balance but am back now. totally understand the frustration of sitting in at artisan. we'll often slide on by if there are too many people already sitting in because we hate to get our hopes up and then take ages to get our coffee which we just resent because 9 times out of 10 we're on our way somewhere on a schedule. despite their great coffee, we've knocked artisan off their perch for number one because of inconsistency (of the coffee not the service :) and wellington's is the supremo. let me know what you think (again, its only a small place so avoid if its full and you're in a hurry!)

    ReplyDelete